Monday, March 4, 2013

Picasso Head + my opinion on learning styles


My multiple test intelligence test showed I was mostly interpersonal. I think my picture reflects this because my eyes are closed, meaning I keep to myself. My ears are small and not very open, showing that I think to spend time and work better by myself. my mouth is closed and my hair is simple. I think that shows that I don't really talk a lot and I am a very simple person. There is no color, which I think means that I am not extremely outgoing and only have a few friends I talk to. 

Activities that I would enjoy because I am more interpersonal:


Practice breathing for relaxation.

Work on the computer.

Set aside time to reflect on new ideas and information.
 Go on "guided imagery" tours
Article 1

Article 2

My Opinion:

I think that learning styles and Multiple Intelligence complement each other. I think it is important to consider both but not have too much of either one of them. I will use the concept of learning styles in my classroom. I will think about different ways to do different activities. I will try to find activities that fit different personalities. I believe that having a range of ideas is important in the classroom. Kids need different ways to learn and relate to what they are doing. If they are able to relate to it and have fun with it, and its not the same thing every day, they will most likely remember it in the long run. It will not just disappear after they take a test. I like this quotes, " teachers should worry about matching their instruction to the content they are teaching. Some concepts are best taught through hands-on work, some are best taught through lectures, and some are best taught through group discussions. " (Clark, 2000). I feel like it describes how I feel about learning styles. I don't think teachers should think about how many of my students learn what way. That doesn't really do anything. It should be more based off of what teaching technique is best for this activity. I also agree with another quote that I found, " That is, most researchers agree that we do have various learning styles and preferences, however, the research tends to agree that it is relative unimportant when designing learning programs. Rather it is far more important to match the presentation with the nature of the subject, such as providing correct learning methods, strategies, and context; rather than matching individual preferences" (Glenn, 2009) This quote is saying that we should not create activities for certain learning styles specifically but we should think of different ways to create learning styles and how it fits with that activity. We need to consider the content of the activity and how it would best be presented, and not worry about how each individual learns best.

My MI:
I have more interpersonal intelligence. Using blogs, journals, internet research, group projects and concept maps I can relate and plan activities that use these things. I can take these ideas and activities and incorporate the lesson into these kinds of things. Students that have interpersonal intelligence with most likely really enjoy these activities.

The lesson plan.- This lesson plan will help people with interpersonal intelligence. It is a group project. They will get to work together with a group on a geometry assignment, they can learn to become a better leader because that is what the most likely naturally want to do, is lead. They will excel and enjoy this kind of project, because they are most comfortable leading a group of people.

References: 


Clark, D. (2000, May 29). Learning styles & preferences. Retrieved from http://nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/styles.html


Fietsch , J. (n.d.). Multiple intelligence lesson plans. Retrieved from http://www4.uwsp.edu/education/lwilson/lessons/mi/miindex.htm

Glenn, D. (2009, December 15). Matching teaching style to learning style may not help students. Retrieved from http://chronicle.com/article/Matching-Teaching-Style-to-/49497/







No comments:

Post a Comment